West University Houston House Guide
West University Place, known colloquially as West U, is an independent city located within Houston’s Inner Loop.
West University homes are among most expensive real estate in the area. The city is one of the poshest addresses in the Houston area, thanks to its great location, accessibility, and overall atmosphere.
- CENTRAL LOCATION: Nestled south of the Southwest Freeway, West University real estate are minutes away from key Houston locations, including the Texas Medical Center, the Galleria, and Downtown.
- EASY ACCESSIBILITY: The city has convenient access to main roads like the Buffalo Speedway, Bissonnet Street, Kirby Drive, and Bellaire Boulevard, as well as Loop 610 and US 59.
- RETAIL AND ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS: Some of Houston’s dining, retail, and entertainment hotspots – Rice Village, the Greenway Plaza, and the Galleria – are a short drive away from West University Place homes.
- BEAUTIFUL HOMES: West University is mostly made up of gorgeous single-family homes, some of which date back to the 1930s.
- STRONG HOUSING MARKET: West University real estate continue to post strong appreciation rates over years. The average median price of homes in the city has reached over $1,000,000.
The city’s serene atmosphere, green spaces, and great schools also contribute to its continuing popularity. The West U real estate market, however, can be challenging to navigate.
Things West University Real Estate Buyers Should Know
Covering a total area of 2 square miles, West University Place is a “city within a city”, subdivided into 26 sections called blocks. It has Bellaire to the west, Southside Place to the south, and Houston to the east and north.
- Nestled south of the Southwest Freeway, West University real estate are minutes away from key Houston locations, including the Texas Medical Center, the Galleria, and Downtown.
- The city has convenient access to main roads like the Buffalo Speedway, Bissonnet Street, Kirby Drive, and Bellaire Boulevard, as well as Loop 610 and US 59.
- Some of Houston’s dining, retail, and entertainment hotspots – Rice Village, the Greenway Plaza, and the Galleria – are a short drive away from West University Place homes.
- Like Bellaire, West University is mostly made up of gorgeous single-family homes, some of which date back to the 1930s.
- West University real estate continue to post strong appreciation rates over years. The average median price of homes in the city has reached over $1,000,000.
- Average price per square foot and land values have posted similar positive changes.
- During the 1990s and early 2000s, many of West U’s original homes were torn down to make way for new construction.
- The city of West University Place has a council-manager form of government and maintains its own fire and police departments.
- Homes in the area are zoned to the Houston ISD’s West University Elementary School, Pershing Middle School, and Lamar High School.
- West University homes range from recent construction to updated and carefully maintained vintage homes.
- Lot sizes are typically between 5,000 to 20,000 square feet.
- Prices for West University homes for sale can range from $600,000 to more than $3,000,000.
West University Maps and Location
Located west of Rice University, West University has the cities of Bellaire to the west, Southside Place to the south, and Houston to the north and east.
The Museum District and the Texas Medical Center lie further west of the city.
Several main roads go through the city, including the Buffalo Speedway, Bellaire Boulevard, Bissonnet Street, and Kirby Drive. Loop 610 and US 59 (Southwest Freeway) are minutes away from West University.
The city has remained a quiet residential enclave over the years, thanks to its deed restrictions and zoning ordinances.
West University is within the 77005 zip code of Harris County.
West University Place TX Subdivisions
Covering 2-square mile area, West University is a relatively small city within the Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land metropolitan area. Nicknamed “The Neighborhood City”, it is made up of 26 blocks.
Each block contains some of the area’s original bungalows, recently remodeled homes, as well as an abundance of beautiful new and recent construction.
Here are the subdivisions that make up West U:
- College View 4th
- College View 2nd
- College View 3rd
- College View 1st
- Cunningham Terrace
- Sunset Terrace
- Pershing Place
- West U Place 2nd
- West U Place 1st
- Kent Place
- Rice Court
- Krenzler Court
- Quenby Court
- Tangley Place
- Preston Place
- Virginia Court
- Belle Court
Fun Things To Do Near West University
Residents of West University Place enjoy a variety of activities and establishments within the neighborhood. The city’s many parks and green spaces offer facilities where residents can go bird watching, do team sports, or have a relaxing bike ride.
Colonial Park features a playground, a picnic area, tennis courts, a pavilion, a walking path, and a sand volleyball court. It also offers a recreational center as well as a pool.
Wier Park, on the other hand, has lighted tennis courts and a basketball court.
West University residents aren’t far from retail either, as Rice Village, one of the area’s best-loved shopping destinations, is a stone’s throw away from the city. Covering 16 blocks with over 300 shops, the shopping district is home to a hodgepodge of high-end boutiques, small shops, restaurants, delis, and pubs.
Thanks to the city’s central location, residents are mere minutes from Houston’s finest, including the Galleria, the Museum District, Hermann Park, and Memorial Park.
Here are some of the must-visit places in and around West University Place:
Parks within the West University Place include:
- Colonial Park
- Friends Park
- Huffington Park
- Whitt Johnson Park
- Judson Park
- Wier Park
Nearby outdoor attractions include:
- Hermann Park
- Gerald D. Hines Waterwall Park
- Rice Running Trail
- Memorial Park
- Buffalo Bayou Park
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center
- Bite Macarons
- Local Foods
- The Breakfast Klub
- Luna Pizzeria
- Hobbit Cafe
- Kolache Factory
- Flying Saucer Draught Emporium
- Baker St. Pub and Grill
- The Ginger Man
- Grand Prize Bar
- Mezzanine Lounge
- Rice Village
- Urban Harvest Farmers Market
- Central Market – Houston
West University Houston History
In 1917, Ben Hooper, a former governor of Tennessee, started the development of what is now known as West University Place. Some of the young community’s first lots were sold in the same year.
The city owes its name to Rice University, then known as Rice Institute. Most of the city’s streets were named after authors, colleges, and universities.
In 1924, residents pushed for incorporation, due in part to Houston’s reluctance to built infrastructure far from the city’s center. By 1939, the city of Houston continued to grow, but the then municipality refused to consolidate. In 1940, West U had adopted a formal city charter.
Today, West University is one of Houston’s most affluent and most expensive neighborhoods.
West University Schools
West University homes are zoned to the Houston Independent School District (HISD).
West University Elementary School is located within the city, while Pershing Middle School and Lamar High School are in nearby Braeswood Place and Upper Kirby, respectively.
- West University Elementary School at 3756 University Blvd. West U Elementary serves kindergarten to 5th grade students. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 10/10.
- The Rice School at 7550 Seuss Dr. The Rice School is K-8 magnet school for Technology and Spanish. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 7/10.
- Mandarin Chinese Immersion School at 6300 Avenue B, Bellaire. They are the first dedicated Mandarin language immersion magnet school in Houston for Pre K-3 students.
- Pin Oak Middle School at 4601 Glenmont St, Bellaire. The school offers a Foreign Language magnet program and serves grades 6 to 8. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 10/10.
- Pershing Middle School at 3838 Blue Bonnet Blvd. The school serves students grades 6 through 8 and offers a Fine Arts magnet program. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 7/10.
- Lamar High School at 3325 Westheimer Rd. The school offers business management courses as well as International Baccalaureate programs. It has a GreatSchools.org rating of 7/10.
West University Private Schools
- Southampton Montessori School at 5012 Morningside Dr. It is a co-educational preschool with a GreatSchools.org community rating of 5/5.
- St. Mark’s Episcopal School at 3816 Bellaire Blvd. The school serves students from preschool to Grade 8 and has a GreatSchools.org community rating of 4/5.
- The Post Oak School at 4600 Bissonnet St, Bellaire. The Post Oak School is a Montessori school serving elementary to high school students. It has a GreatSchools.org community rating of 4/5.
- St. Vincent De Paul Catholic School at 6802 Buffalo. The school is a parochial co-educational school for elementary to middle school students. It has a GreatSchools.org community rating of 4/5.
- St. John’s School at 2401 Claremont Ln. St. John’s School is one of “America’s Elite Prep Schools” according to Forbes and “the best private school in Houston” according to the New York Times. St. John’s admits students from K-12
- St. Francis Episcopal Day School at 335 Piney Point Rd. A previous National Blue Ribbon School, the school admits elementary to middle school students. It has a GreatSchools.org community rating of 4/5.
- Episcopal High School at 4650 Bissonnet St, Bellaire. Episcopal High School is a co-educational school with a curriculum based on academics, religion, fine arts, and athletics. It has a GreatSchools.org community rating of 4/5.
Colleges and Universities
Rice University is just a few minutes east of West University Place. The city is also served by the Houston Community College System, with several campuses around Houston. The University of Houston and the Texas Southern University, on the other hand, are minutes away from West U.
To find an updated listing of all West University real estate zoned to any specific public school, please send an email to
*Note: School zoning tends to change from year to year, information provided above are accurate but not guaranteed. Please double check by visiting the school’s website.
West University Real Estate Trends
West University real estate have posted strong appreciation rates. From 2005 to 2014, the median sales price of West University homes have increased by 75%.
Average price per square foot and land values have also shown similar increases over the same period.
Thanks to the city’s continuing popularity, home prices have remained strong despite slight fluctuations.
West University Single-Family Home Sale Trends
West University homes are mostly single-family dwellings on mid-sized lots. Some of the area’s original homes from the 1920s and 1930s have been renovated, but most have since been replaced with two-story custom-built homes.
Homes in the city typically feature lot sizes between 5,000 to 11,000 square feet. The most expensive West University homes for sale, however, can feature as much as 20,000.
Home sizes can range from 2,000 to more than 5,000 square feet. Four- to five-bedroom floor plans are common. Traditional, Colonial, Contemporary, and other architectural styles are available in the area.
During the 1990s, the city changed its development rules to allow new construction in the area. Today, West University homes range from the city’s older cottages to 2-story contemporary homes.
West University homes range from the city’s older cottages to 2-story contemporary homes.
West University Townhomes Sale Trends
West University townhomes are typically smaller, with about 1,500 to 2,500 square feet of living space. However, these properties are generally more affordable than single-family homes.
Prices for West University townhomes can start at around $300,000 and can go up to just under $1,000,000.